Thursday, June 21, 2012

Post 3: Does it Count if you Forget it's a Problem?

Today's time frame was 3-4 pm.  I remembered at 4:20.  I succeeded, but only by default.  Is that the story of my life?

What is success, really?

If it is the accomplishment of a goal, does it matter if that achievement was accidental?  If  you set ridiculously low goals for yourself, is it still a success if you achieve them?

In my life, there are remarkably few things I have worked very hard for and achieved.  1) Going back to and graduating from college.  2) Quitting smoking.   3)  Making all payments for my last vehicle on time and paying it off early.  4)  The super healthy pregnancy of my son.  5)  My marriage - constant work, but worth it.

That's it.  35 years old and that's it.  It seems like a very sad little list, no?

Everything else, all my other wishes, goals and dreams remain in a little box marked unfulfilled.  These are things as simple as "Devise a daily yoga practice," to "Finish novel."  These two, and all the others in between never seem to get completed because there is always something, or someone, else to attend to.  Life has a crazy way of sneaking up and taking over, you know?

The only way I know to achieve something is to make it a total and complete priority, and not allow for any excuses or diversions.  And it is very hard to accomplish more than one major goal at a time, which just flat out bites, as there are always a hundred different things I want to accomplish - and all of them seem valid.  But to make this thing happen - to lose 100 pounds (yes, I said 100) - will take total dedication and commitment, and I really don't know if I'm there.  The negative voices are rallying and it's only the first day.

So I have to remind myself:


No comments:

Post a Comment